Wednesday, 3 October 2007

andy warhol time!


Aimee and I finally got around to going to the Andy Warhol Exhibit at the art gallery in Edinburgh. It is only around until Oct 7, so anyone reading this in the area, you should go soon! We both had a blast while we were there. There were some really interesting works that we saw that were not what I think of as the "typical" Warhol, Campbell's soup cans and Marilyn Monroe. There was some of that type of work but we also got to see some of his earlier ink work, screen tests and other works on death, the Cold War, and even children's toys. One of the things that I really liked was that a few of the rooms in the exhibition were papered with Warhol wallpaper, cows, fish and the Washington Monument.

There was also a great room with a bunch of silver balloons, like blown up rectangular bags that let us have a ton of fun. We spent quite a bit of time in this room playing around like we were children again. I tried to take some good pictures, but most of them didn't come out great especially with all the movement and shiny, reflective material. I'm also trying to train myself with the manual setting on my camera. I probably should have put it on auto for a few shots so that I could get some better shots. Anyway, here are some shots of us having a blast.

Awesome silver balloon thingies. We ran around and tried to keep them all up in the air.

One of the few half decent shots I managed to get of Aimee.

Our reflection in one of the balloons. Of course my face is obscured by the camera. I think that Aimee came out quite good. Roderick is holding the balloon up for this shot. Why do I always photograph so poorly? Argh! I should give up this manual thing

One of the few decent shots of me. Basically they all came out blurry. One would thing that this is the point at which I would have realized I should have my camera on auto if I actually want photos for posterity, but then again, hindsight is always 20/20. Yes, that is a balloon hitting my face.


Look at all those cans of Campbell's Soup! When my father visited Edinburgh, a bus we were riding passed by the front of the gallery, which has set up this promotional display. He said, "They must really love Campbell's Soup here". I could barely stop laughing to explain what the cans were really set up for.

3 comments:

cinky ho said...

i am so jealous. you have no idea.

Unknown said...

I loved that exhibit!! It was even better than I thought it would be. Which is practically impossible because I've been so excited for it since I found out about it on the plane ride over here. I love the pictures you posted, too! I'll upload mine soon.

Shoj Non said...

WHOA

your hair has spicy tips