Friday, 23 November 2007

no way to win

I've been put in a situation that is making me really stressed. Some friends are going up north tomorrow and I was called Thursday night to confirm a ride Friday night. Because I was told we didn't have novice coaching this weekend I agreed to go up. Unfortunately, a few hours after I confirmed I was asked to go to the SUS (Scottish Universities) archery match this weekend. I knew about the match, but didn't think that I would get asked to go because of my short time here and knew of the people that were already asked. Therefore, when I was asked, it was a huge surprise and I really wanted to say yes, but I had to think about the trip. I was given until tonight to decide so I got really stressed out. The whole situation makes me feel like I have to chose which friends I want to hang out with more. Iain and Co. going up north, or the archery group. I am signed up for the novice champs in a week that will give me chance to shoot against the other novices from other schools. I am really torn and felt really stressed out when I made my decision, I still don't know if I made the right choice.

pros of going to SUS match:
  1. personal gratification for being asked to go to the match
  2. hanging out with the archery group
  3. being able to go to a proper university match in my short time here
  4. will have time to revise and work

cons of going to SUS match:
  1. currently not shooting well while I am still trying to use some of the coaching I got last Sunday and get used to different equipment.
  2. if I shoot terribly I will just regret not going up north and feel miserable,
  3. even if I shoot and EUAC wins the meet and goes on to win the other matches after I leave, my reward will be the satisfaction of going to the match.
  4. feeling more and more distant from Iain and Co because I've been spending so much time with archery.
  5. if I shoot poorly, it will only further the belief that some people EUAC have that I shouldn't have gotten a bow to shoot this term.
  6. backing out of a confirmation that I already made making me unreliable and flaky. also giving the organizer a really hard time.
In the end I decided not to back out on the trip and turn down the opportunity that I was hoping to be given at least once this term. I don't know if I made the right decision or not and I feel like I can't please everyone. At the moment I fell miserable. Whatever choice I made I would have let someone down. I could hear it in the voices of the people I talked to last night. This and academics is really stressing me out. I plan to shoot a lot next week since I will only have one class on Monday and Thursday. This way I can feel confidant for the competition on Dec. 1 and be happy with my shooting. If I do well then, this will all be worth it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like you've got a topic for your med school personal statements...

Anonymous said...

Blog more, there's nothing interesting online . . .

KGeorge said...

i miss you honey :)